Friday, June 03, 2011

Old Companies Need To Get With The New Ways

There's nothing, and I mean NOTHING, that is more annoying than a bad website (first world problems, right?). Now, amateurs have a pass at having a bad site to an extend. Everyone has to go through a trial and error period to find out what works and what doesn't. But when a corporation has a bad website, there's just no excuse for that. And even if a corporation has a great website, customer service and policy can destroy the easy at which you get your information.

I would like to call to this rant AT&T. I know many people don't like it just because they're, you know, pretty much the ideal image of an evil corporation who seeks to monopolize the market and put a choke hold on its customers. But set that aside for a minute. Take a minute and go to the wireless part of their website. Take a look around. Visit a few pages. Try to find out more about their plans and cell phones. It's okay. I'll wait. Just hurry back. Okay? All done? Pain in the butt wasn't it? Depending on how deep you went, you may have noticed that you had to continuously log in if you wanted to visit a different part of the same area of the site. They also choose the worst time to do maintenance, blocking off areas that have important information in the middle of the day, but opening them up late at night. I understand maintenance needs to be done, but they could have chosen a better time to do it, or done it faster.

Next, I would like to call to this rant Electronic Arts. Simple site, horrible customer service. And it's not even the people. Try contacting them if you have a problem. It's bad enough that you have to create an account to ask a question, but if you want to send a simple email, you have to all but tell them your Social Security Number, address, and name of your parents. Why should I have to tell them what kind of internet I have and do a speed test to give them the information they want? I JUST WANT TO FIRE OFF AN EMAIL TO A SIMPLE QUESTION! Another option is to chat with a person. And that's free too (I'm looking at you SONY!). However, I would enjoy talking to someone with a firm grasp of the English language (Maybe hire people who live in the country in question, creating jobs, helping the economy?). A person I was talking to just the other day was barely understandable (keep in mind, this was instant messaging chat), used weird contractions, and was not very helpful. Also, riddle me this: If I bought a product years ago, did not register it online, and lost the product key, why should I pay $13 for a new code, when I can buy the same game new from Amazon for $20?

I really would expect more from major companies like these. Amazon, ThinkGeek, and smaller companies have caught on to the simple, easy to navigate design idea and amazing customer service. These companies usually have more to lose than the bigger guys too, with the exception of Amazon of course. But then that only proves how easy it can be for a major player to be so good. So the final question is: Why do we still have to put up with these things?

Am I missing something? Or did I hit it spot on? Leave a comment or contact me to let me know what you think!

No comments: